Friday, November 11, 2011

11 11 11

Subject: 11 11 11

Is 11 11 11 a magical date?  Probably about as magical as 6 6 6, but we do tend to hang our superstitions on times and dates. 
If my feeble figuring abilities are correct, next year 12 12 12 will be the last of its kind until the year 2101.  I doubt anyone on this list will be around. 
But our keeping of dates does mark that time when a young man roamed the Earth...or what was known of the Earth at the time. 
Whether you believe, as I do, that Jesus was a mere mortal man or whether you believe him to be the son of God, we can probably agree on one thing.  Jesus stood on his convictions.  He never waivered, even as they nailed him to the cross. 
He could have paid lip service to the Establishment, as many of us do, and gone about organizing his movement in back rooms and in the dark of night. 
But he chose to face the Greedy Empire and attempt to teach them of the error of their ways. 
I got to thinking about this.  Isn't this the thing we admire in others the most?  The people who stand their ground against all odds. 
I wonder what sort of world it would be if we all were able to follow the example Jesus set? 
When I attended church, we sang wonderful songs about, "Jesus is the sweetest name I know", but not many songs about this young, brave man who stood his ground against the mightiest Empire that ever existed.  No songs about, "Jesus thumbed His nose at Caesar". 
Anyway, I tip my hat to the brave young men and women who right now are standing in public squares and on street corners, thumbing their noses. 
In that sense, Jesus really does live. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment