Friday, February 1, 2013

remembering George Bailey

Back in 1952, in Seattle, George Bailey(not the one from the movie) travelled around the city totally blind and without a cane.  He whistled.  A shrill whistle which he told me bounced off objects, letting him know where they were and even in many cases what they were.  George taught me typing during my recovery from eye surgery.  I was 17 and quite taken by his ability. 
"When I grew up you either went out and learned to get around, or you stayed home.  They didn't have canes back then.  So I learned to whistle", he said. 
George sold brooms door to door for the Lighthouse part time, worked as a rehab teacher part time, and played the chimes in the Denny tower at the University of Washington every day at noon. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment