Monday, January 20, 2014

"...I am a product of original sin."

"...I am a product of original sin."
So said President Obama. Well Mister President, I hate to burst your little
pink bubble, but there is no such thing as Original Sin. Unless you believe
that a figment of the imagination can actually be a tangible, solid thing.
Original Sin, Mister President, was invented by men in order to explain
their natural animal instincts and lusts.
Of course once you have original sin, you need a loving God who can take
that sin from you. And just to jazz the story up a bit, God sends His Son
and allows Him to be crucified in order to take our sins. This replaced our
earlier practice of animal and human sacrifices to a whole bunch of Gods.
Anyway, if you want to be mired in that original sin, so be it. But for the
record, I am a product of Clyde and Elsie Jarvis. No sin was involved, and
none was laid upon me.

Carl Jarvis


----- Original Message -----
From: "Miriam Vieni" <miriamvieni@optonline.net>
To: "'Blind Democracy Discussion List'" <blind-democracy@octothorp.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:37 PM
Subject: quote from a very long New Yorker article on Obama and the print
link


"I have strengths and I have weaknesses, like every President, like every
person," Obama said. "I do think one of my strengths is temperament. I am
comfortable with complexity, and I think I'm pretty good at keeping my moral
compass while recognizing that I am a product of original sin. And every
morning and every night I'm taking measure of my actions against the options
and possibilities available to me, understanding that there are going to be
mistakes that I make and my team makes and that America makes; understanding
that there are going to be limits to the good we can do and the bad that we
can prevent, and that there's going to be tragedy out there and, by
occupying this office, I am part of that tragedy occasionally, but that if I
am doing my very best and basing my decisions on the core values and ideals
that I was brought up with and that I think are pretty consistent with those
of most Americans, that at the end of the day things will be better rather
than worse."

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/01/27/140127fa_fact_remnick?printabl
e=true&currentPage=all


The article has a date of Jan. 27. So perhaps you can find it on Newsline.
I've saved it, but dividing it so it will fit onto the list may be
difficult.

Miriam

_______________________________________________
Blind-Democracy mailing list
Blind-Democracy@octothorp.org
http://www.octothorp.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-democracy

No comments:

Post a Comment