Friday, January 4, 2019

Fwd: [acb-chat] the daily worker

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carl Jarvis via acb-chat <acb-chat@acblists.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2019 16:20:27 +0000
Subject: [acb-chat] the daily worker
To: "General discussion list for ACB members and friends where a wide
range of topics from blindness to politics, issues of the day or
whatever comes to mind are welcome. This is a free form discussion
list." <acb-chat@acblists.org>
Cc: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@gmail.com>

Hi William,
A bit more regarding the source of the article I posted yesterday.
Article: This was published in the People's World. That is the
official newspaper of the Communist Party, USA and it is the direct
descendant of the Daily Worker.

During WW II, the Daily Worker was a fixture in my parent's home.
Also present were such other biased publications such as the Wall
Street Journal, Time Magazine, The Seattle Times, Psychology Today,
Reader's Digest, Humpty Dumpty, Ladies Home Companion, The Family
Circle, Good Housekeeping, and piles of library books on just about
anything. As a family, we spent much time reading and talking
together. We also had an old Army tent that we tossed in the trunk of
the 1938 Hudson, and headed out on camping trips around Washington,
Oregon and Idaho. We hiked, fished and roasted Smores. But during
the long Northwest rainy season, we spent lots of time at the public
library, checking out piles of books.
I'm a strong advocate for the NLS for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped. I'm always rocked back on my heels when, as a rehab
teacher, I push Talking Books to a newly blind client, and hear them
say, "I don't read".
As you know, I'm also an advocate for positive support groups. So
after getting over the news that a client does not read, I push
support groups, believing that in this way a newly blind person can
find answers to the many annoying problems that come with blindness.
As a totally blind man, for the past 54 years, I do my "reading" with
my JAWS and through Talking Books. But I tune in FOX News, NBC, ABC,
CBS and NPR from time to time in order to keep up on the strange
antics of our ruling Oligarchy...sorry, I slipped...
But my main sources for current events today are Thom Hartman,
Alternative Radio, Democracy Now, Dr. Richard Wolff, Chris Hedges and
other observers of social events.
While I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the Communist
Party, or for that matter, of any Party other than the
Democrats...which I now disclaim, and for a long period of years a
member of the Protestant Faith...now abandoned. And I almost forgot
the most radical of all organizations, from 1969 to 1980 I was a very
active member of the National Federation of the Blind. After several
disagreements with Kenneth Jernigan, Washington and California were
kicked out of the NFB. Washington formed the United Blind of
Washington State, and for the next ten years operated independently.
In 1990 we merged with the Washington Council of the Blind, and the
ACB.
Again, while I am not a member of any political party at the present
time, I believe, with only limited reading, that Karl Marx is a Hell
of a lot smarter than most of the people who dump their anger and
hatred on his long dead head. Smearing is a lazy man's way out.
Our hope for our future is wrapped up in developing something called,
"Thinking". Thinking. however, needs food for thought. Reading
widely and listening carefully are the best sources of such food.

Cordially,
Carl Jarvis



_________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________
acb-chat mailing list
acb-chat@acblists.org
http://www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-chat

No comments:

Post a Comment