Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Leftie, born and bred

A Leftie, born and bred
 
I want to say a word or two about my being a "Leftie". 
Besides being born left handed, I was given by the Stork to a Working Class family.  Oh, I'd begged to be dropped down the chimney of Bill Boeing Jr's home, but we flew right on over to Spokane and I was plunked down on the back porch of a little shack out in the West Valley. 
Growing up poor and living in an up scale neighborhood in Seattle, I could understand why my school chums thought Tom Dewey was the man of the hour.  He stood for all that their families held near and dear.  
But what I couldn't understand was why the poor folks became so fiercely protective of the rights of the rich to steal from the poor.  Many of them worked long hard hours for very little pay.  But when I would go around passing out the Progressive(Communist) literature that my dad handed me, I had people scream obscenities in my little skinny, frightened face and slam the door, after ripping up the flyer. 
Here they were, living in dumps, telling me that I was a threat to their American Way of Life. 
Why couldn't they see what I saw?  I could look up at the top of the hill and then back to their crumbling neighborhood and I could see the difference.  They were not enjoying the fruits of their labor.  They were not living the American Dream.  But the folks high on the hill were.  And it didn't take me many years to figure out just where they were getting their money from. 
I suppose that if I'd been born to Bill Boeing Junior, like I'd wanted, I'd be a strong supporter of the Ruling Class, because they would have been my people. 
But I'm always going to be the son of a working man, and always make my choices based on what is good for working men and women. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment