Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Got time to kill?

Bob and All with time to kill,
Since my budget does not include Iphones or anything above basic PC
services, I, like you, must go to my office to explore what is available to
me on the internet. But somehow I don't feel left out. My entertainment is
right here. I am on only three email lists currently, and that gives me
more than enough diversion. And it's convenient. As I'm doing my client
work, being self employed, I can flip over to read or respond to some list
or another. My boss doesn't mind if I use the same computer, or if I steal
a few minutes from my work day. That's about the only perk there is in
contracting with the state.
Because we are remote, out here on the Great Olympic Peninsula, in fact,
having no electricity to the house, we use a satellite service called Wild
Blue. It's more costly than most internet services. We used to only have
dial up service available, but in order to connect with the University of
Washington's Program, we had to go to the faster, more costly service.
But I marvel at the amount of time other folks seem to have to give to
watching movies. I use the TV for very limited information, besides my
being hooked on Jeopardy. Cathy does enjoy watching some golf and tennis,
but I can't sit still that long.
I read books I download from BARD, carrying the player along with me when
I'm working outside.
Much of my "entertainment" comes from chasing down what little
Progressive/Radical programming is still to be found on radio and to some
extent, on TV. I catch Thom Hartman on RT TV, along with a few other
programs when I happen to be around a TV set. We actually have two Dish
receivers on our roof, along with two racks of solar panels and our Wild
Blue Dish. We look sort of like a space ship just settling down in the
forest.
Anyway, I'm just saying that my personal form of entertainment runs to the
real life adventures. If I were a younger man, you'd probably see them
dragging me off to the jail house from in front of some Federal building or
other. You know the biggest problem in becoming older, when it comes to
getting out for public demonstrations?
Well, let me put it this way, after hearing about Texas Senator Wendy Davis
performing an epic 13-hour filibuster , during which the rules did not allow
her to sit, lean or go potty...Stop! That's the place. How can anyone
stand for 13 hours without dribbling down their leg?
I'm on a schedule that says I stop and go at least every two hours, or else
I go anyway.
If you think blindness can be a real disincentive to travel, try planning
your day from rest stop to rest stop.
But this is way off whatever the subject was in the first place. I just
thought it was a topic not often talked about when we get to grumbling over
our lack of eyesight.
And now, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go.

Carl Jarvis


----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Hachey" <bhachey@verizon.net>
To: <acb-l@acb.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:47 AM
Subject: [acb-l] Apple TV was RE: [VICUG-L] Fwd: netflix


Hi Ron,
Thanks for the input. You're the first to mention using NetFlix with Apple
TV. It'll be interesting to compare the differences experienced by those
using Apple TV Vs. those using other methods of access such as the PC. I am
decidedly not knowledgeable regarding Apple products.
Since I can't afford the data plan required to use an iPhone now, I've not
looked much into the products. I do love the idea of universal design and do
wish the day would come when the PC enjoys this access. I understand that an
Apple TV can be had for around $100.00.
Does one need an iPhone type data plan to use the Apple TV or can one simply
connect it to an existing high speed internet connection such as the one I
use for the PC? Does Apple TV work like a cable box that can be connected to
any TV?
Frankmly, I'd rather have entertainment like movies in my living room than
in my bedroom/office where the PC is currently located.
Bob Hachey

_______________________________________________
acb-l mailing list
acb-l@acb.org
http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l

No comments:

Post a Comment