Friday, July 12, 2013

Love it or leave it? how about, Change it!

There you go Ron. How many of my good friends have asked the same question?
Let me be very clear. I love my life here in the United States of America,
and I practice defending our people and our Rights that we fought so hard to
establish, to the best of my ability.
One other fellow told me the same thing as you have told me, when I
thought it was my duty to speak out against those activities that I felt
were turning the National Federation of the Blind into a corporation instead
of a membership organization.
For my troubles I was thrown out. When you and I differ, Is this your
solution, too?
I'm in the ACB because of Kenneth Jernigan's refusal to discuss the NFB's
changing direction.
Here, in this setting I feel free to speak out when the ACB, the
organization I care about, does something that I disagree with. That does
not make me right. Nor does my opinion change things. But I exercise my
right.
And I do the same with the direction of my beloved United States of America,
a Land I do not wish to see become the Corporate Empire of America.
Ron, I am going to assume that you made me this offer in jest. But now you
should know how strongly I will defend my right, and your right and all
members and all citizens rights to speak out without being accused of not
loving their organization or their country.
Do I make my point? Or should I write a book?

Carl Jarvis


----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronald E. Milliman" <rmilliman@insightbb.com>
To: "Carl Jarvis" <carjar82@gmail.com>; "Karen Rose" <rosekm@earthlink.net>;
"Albert Cutolo" <albertcutolo@verizon.net>
Cc: <acb-l@acb.org>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 8:14 AM
Subject: Re: [acb-l] Res2013-13


Carl,

If you think so little of the United States of America and think it is such
a bad country, Then, I will make you a deal...

I will send you one-way tickets to any country in the entire wourld you
want to move to and live for the rest of your life, providing you agree to
never return to this country again.

Do we have a deal???

Ron M.

At 09:59 PM 7/11/2013 -0700, Carl Jarvis wrote:
>Karen,
>While I feel the same as you, I have to stop and remind myself that I am a
>member of an organization that condones dictators, slavery, mass murder,
>starvation, and unrestrained greed. The name of that organization, as you
>already have guessed, is The United States of America.
>Since I am stuck here, and actually feel at home here, my choices are to
>either go along like one more cow, or fight the system.
>
>Carl Jarvis
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Karen Rose" <rosekm@earthlink.net>
>To: "Albert Cutolo" <albertcutolo@verizon.net>
>Cc: <acb-l@acb.org>
>Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:17 PM
>Subject: Re: [acb-l] Res2013-13
>
>
>Not sure if it matters but I for one will not be able to remain a member of
>an organization that could support slavery, that is people with
>disabilities
>being paid less than at least the minimum wage required to be paid to all
>other citizens. For this constitutes the equivalent of slavery and I could
>not remain a member of an organization which condones this practice. Karen
>
>Sent from my iPhone
>
>On Jul 11, 2013, at 9:12 PM, "Albert Cutolo" <albertcutolo@verizon.net>
>wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> From: acb-l-bounces@acb.org [mailto:acb-l-bounces@acb.org] On Behalf Of
>> Jessie Rayl
>> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:02 PM
>> To: acb-l@acb.org
>> Subject: Re: [acb-l] Res2013-13
>>
>> Albert, Bank Presidents, your Congress, on-and-on make six figures. You
>> don't see them "feeling sorry for" the underlings, with or without
>> disabilities, do you-you know, the people they barely pay above minimum
>> wage and do that only because they have too? The people, and there are
>> many, they are hiring part time so they don't have to pay them benefits
>> and can still pay them pitifully.
>> This is reality. Its not "fair" and whomever sold you, or any of you,
>> the
>> fairytale that life is fair must have spent a lot of time reading just
>> that .fairytales to you. However, did you really believe them?
>> No, its not right, and of course they could pay the people more. The
>> point you guys still cannot and do not grasp is this:
>> The minute you start paying people with multiple disabilities minimum
>> wage, they lose Medicaid. They lose Medicaid waiver. And the minute
>> they
>> lose that, they lose their group homes, their assistant living and their
>> staff or care provider support. Now what?
>> We aren't talking about paying people who can take care of themselves, do
>> not have severe debilitating medical / physical conditions minimum wage
>> here people.
>> Secondly, the minute you start forcing these workshops, etc. to pay all
>> these people minimum wage, if you think they struggle for money now (and
>> they claim they do), just where do you think they'll get it from then?
>> And without it, out goes the programs and those people you claim to be so
>> concerned about.
>>
>> And I still absolutely, positively do not believe there are or will be
>> any
>> "safe guards" that will say:
>> We will pay people minimum wage and they can keep Medicaid and Medicaid
>> waiver.
>> My golly, did not MO just fight a huge fight to keep their Medicaid and
>> stuff?
>> And they just cut WV programs .again.
>> Now guys, I'm sorry .I just do not see it.
>>
>> The positive part of this is, we just demonstrated to all the disability
>> groups that yes, we'll stand with you and work with you.
>> And the other positive thing is, as Michael Byington aptly identified,
>> this really is not going to impact people who are blind other than to
>> make
>> the point that yep, we're worth minimum wage (at least) <gag> because
>> very
>> few people who are blind are under this 14C thing anyway.
>> But it will sure impact others and I cannot believe the DD council went
>> for it. Guess they really believe in the "safeguards" too. But! Guess
>> who will get that minimum wage money. Not the clients (that's what they
>> are called). The group homes! The care providers and the guardians.
>> Enough to make my stomach hurt. So that's really what you all want, and
>> that's what you got.
>>
>> This all started over a few Good Will Industries which should have been
>> held to the plate with effective advocacy. Instead all Good Wills were
>> blamed and it went like a snowball headed for hell which in fact did hit
>> and has been totally blown out of proportion. And again, innocent people
>> who don't even know it will be the ones who suffer.
>>
>>
>>
>> Jessie Rayl
>> thedogmom6363@frontier.com
>> http://www.pathtogrowth.org
>> FB: eaglewings10
>>
>> From: acb-l-bounces@acb.org [mailto:acb-l-bounces@acb.org] On Behalf Of
>> Albert Cutolo
>> Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:23 PM
>> To: 'Bob Hachey'; acb-l@acb.org
>> Subject: Re: [acb-l] Res2013-13
>>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> It seems to me that if these executives who run these shops can make
>> salaries in the range of $100000.000 or better, then they can surely pay
>> others who have multiple disabilities, at least at best, the minimum
>> wage. They've been making these large salaries off of the backs of those
>> people that they employ for many many years and it's time that this
>> practice is stopped. Don't feel sorry for these executives, but rather,
>> feel sorry for the people that they have hurt over these many many years.
>> Hi Jessie,
>>
>> I never suggested in my last message that life was fair. But I still
>> believe that passage of this resolution that ACB passed will help to
>> insure that blind people, and those with multiple disabilities will be
>> treated with more dignity and respect. How can we in good good
>> conscience, allow that blind executive who works for Good will
>> industries too make the salary that he draws, while those workers that
>> help him make it, make only 22 cents an hour. Do you really think that's
>> fair to them? Not where I come from, not in my book.
>> _______________________________________________
>> acb-l mailing list
>> acb-l@acb.org
>> http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l
>
>
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>acb-l mailing list
>acb-l@acb.org
>http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>acb-l mailing list
>acb-l@acb.org
>http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l
>
Dr. Ronald E. Milliman, retired Professor Western Kentucky University
Ph: 270-782-9325
Email: rmilliman@insightbb.com

Chair, American Council of the Blind Public Relations Committee

Chair, American Council of the Blind's Monthly Monetary Support Program
(MMS) Committee

President: South Central Kentucky Council of the Blind (SCKCB)

No comments:

Post a Comment