Wednesday, July 17, 2013

what did you say, lady!

Subject: what did you say, lady!


JUROR: "It was just hard, thinking that somebody lost their life, and
there's
nothing else that could be done about it. I mean, it's what happened. It's
sad. It's a tragedy this happened, but it happened. And I think both were
responsible for the situation they had gotten themselves into. I think both
of them could have walked away. It just didn't happen."

So said the first juror to speak to the press.
"...I think both of them were responsible..."
We'll never really know the true answer to that. Since Trayvon is dead.
But let's change color, clothes and sexes.
It's our middle-aged, white juror walking home from the corner grocery
store, carrying a bag of Tootsie Rolls and a bottle of Root Beer.
Suddenly she sees a car slowly following her. Then the car parks and George
Zimmerman steps out and begins to walk along behind her. What might pass
through her mind as she steps up her pace and he does likewise?
"oh," she might think. "He's just some nice guy making sure I'm going to
arrive safe and sound at home." Or she might think, "I've never seen him
here, wonder who's house he's looking for. Maybe I'll let him catch up to
me and ask if he needs help."
But more than likely she's thinking, "Why is he keeping pace with me?
Should I dash up to the next door and ask for help? Am I just being
paranoid? Now he's almost running to keep up with me. Oh my God, I think
he's going to try to rob or rape me!"
Perhaps she carries a pepper spray in her purse. She pulls it out, whirls
and shoots it straight in his face as he comes up behind her.

He drops to his knees, pulls out his trusty gun and blows her away.
"He feared for his life," his attorney tells the jury.
Of course the six man panel nods and agrees. How often they have each been
frightened when some woman they happened to be walking behind whirled on
them. Anybody packing a rod would have done the same thing. Especially in
Florida.
Carl Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment