Friday, February 7, 2014

rambling thoughts regarding Dylan Farrow's open letter

Well we share that love of baseball, Joe. Even if the game has gone
Corporate.
But if the jury is still out on Woody Allen, this old opinionated Grinch has
him already tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.
I saw that Ty Cobb film. And I think that they tried to be fair and show
his "better" side! At least the producers and writers did not attempt to
make a hero out of Cobb. That would be as funny as awarding him the Nobel
Peace Prize.
Perhaps what we need is a new Hall of Fame. This one would recognize
individuals for their accomplishments in their professional field. Only
that. We could name it, The Hall of Imperfection.
But I wouldn't spend too much time, money or energy on such a project.
After all, we still celebrate the "discovery" of America by that sterling
character, Christopher Columbus.

Carl Jarvis

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe harcz Comcast" <joeharcz@comcast.net>
To: "Blind Democracy Discussion List" <blind-democracy@octothorp.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 3:38 AM
Subject: Re: An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow


Hi,

Ted actually didn't say Obama deserved the Nobel Peace prize Carl. Actually
he said the opposite.

As per Woody Allen I think the jury is literally still out, so I'll make no
judgement.

As for Pete Rose it is a travesty of justice to deny him when the record he
beat was that of old Detroit Tiger Ty Cobb who was a virulent racist who
even attacked a black fan during one game and also like many of his era like
Tris Speaker a gambler. Oh and both played in the wite only era so didn't
have the competition from African American great players who were doomed to
the "Negro Leagues". All this was during the shameful era of America's
pastime where Aparteid ruled the day.

Rose on the other hand did compete with the likes of great African American
Hall of Famers such as Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Bob Gibson to name a
few.

Oh my am I digressing?

Actuallyyou can tell how fair I am in this rant for I've just savaged a
Detroit Tiger legend, Ty Cobb.

There was a very good movie about him a few years back. It actually was
excellent and very well done. But it flopped at the box office, not because
of its artistic value but because Cobb himself was such a dispicable
character and so utterly depressing as a life study or bio.

The "Georgia Peach" was simply a bitter, selfish, hateful person to everyone
he encounterred. He had no, and I repeat no redeaming value as a human being
in my opinion. Yet, he was one of the initial feild of players in the Hall
of Fame.

And why do I still love baseball you might be asking? I don't know. Guess
its like the football habit it is hard to kick. Or perhaps it is in the DNA
of most American males of my generation.

I don't know.

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment