Wednesday, October 31, 2012

How is reading a braille book different from listening to an audiobook?

Subject: How is reading a braille book different from listening to an audio book?

Hi Michelle,
So you are a Middle Aged Adult transitioning to becoming Visually Impaired.  At first blush this seems quite clear.  But in looking closer, I might imagine you to be 50 years old and able to only see large objects.  Or I could imagine you as being 40 and finding most print a bit too fuzzy to read, even with corrective lenses. 
But if you are "transitioning to Visual Impairment", then you may very well be able to use a Closed Circuit Television(CCTV), also called an Electronic Reader.  The CCTV consists of a monitor, similar to a small TV screen, mounted over a glide tray.  Reading material is placed on the tray and a camera lens projects the image onto the screen.  It can be enlarged up to 60 times normal size. 
Some folks have lost enough vision that prescription lenses no longer assist them in reading, but magnifying lenses will do the job. 
For some folks, it is a matter of having good lighting and a low power magnifier.  Proper lighting is critical.  Also it is important to be certain you have no glare on what you are reading.  Glare can be handled by using lenses that have been UV coated. 
I would strongly advise you to find a low vision clinic and have a professional test you to find out what will work best for you.  Your eye condition also needs to be factored in.  Some magnifier lenses work better for one eye condition than for others. 
Listening may need to be an acquired skill.  When you've spent your entire life gathering information through your eyes, listening may be initially frustrating.  Some folks tend to snooze off while trying to listen to materials they normally would have sight read.  Some people become very nervous and jittery, unable to stay put. 
My advice is to begin with a book that is professionally read.  You can borrow these from the local library, or if you qualify, from your Talking Book Library, through the National Library Service.  Read for a short period of time, perhaps fifteen minutes.  Then lay the book aside.  Do this two or three times each day for about a week.  Then read a bit longer.  Learn to sit in a comfortable chair and focus on the reader and forget the world.  When you wake up, turn off the book(Chuckle). 
I was an avid reader as a sighted person.  Today I enjoy recorded books from the Talking Book and Braille Library. 
Because I learned Braille at the age of 30, I am not a fast reader.  I use Braille every day, and take all of my notes on a Braille 'N' Speak, which is a note taker that has a Braille keyboard and reads the information in a scratchy voice. 
Having taught Braille to newly blinded adults for many years, I can tell you that very few middle aged adults achieve a speed that allows them to do pleasure reading.  While I have read full length novels in Braille, it is slow going.  And to read technical material, well that is like poking myself in the eye with a hot poker. 
But I keep my phone numbers, client information, cd labels, all sorts of stuff is in Braille. 
So I'd advise learning Braille, even if that is where you end up.  Just to be able to pick up a cd and read the artist is worth the effort. 
But don't expect that it will come without much sweat and, if you are at all like me, lots of cussing.  I used to get so frustrated that I'd actually throw the Braille book across the room, swearing that I would burn it before I'd read another dot.  Of course that was in my own home.  I never behaved that way in public.  Well...not too often. 
 
Anyway, good success and try to approach this change as an exciting adventure. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:11 AM
Subject: [acb-l] How is reading a braille book different from listening toan audiobook?

For those who both read Braille well enough to read at least ton he lhigh school evel  as well as listen to audiobooks, what differences do you experience when reading books in these two formats?  I am someone who is transitioning as a middle aged adult to being visually impaired.  I miss reading books on my own although I usually mind audiobook narration.  I am considering trying to learn Braille levels 1 and 2 so that I can read adult level books on my own in a way that is similiar to the way that I read traditional print books for most of my life.  Thanks for any feedback. 


_______________________________________________
acb-l mailing list
acb-l@acb.org
http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l

No comments:

Post a Comment