Saturday, October 13, 2012

more cane talk

Bob,
My preference, as I've stated, is the solid fiberglass Rain/Shine cane with the metal glide tip.  I do replace the handle with a golf grip.  It is the cane I "grew up on", and I find it very sensitive as a gatherer of information.  And I can lean on it, tie a line and a hook on it, or use it in a pool hall. 
But from time to time I have attended conferences where I knew I'd be confined to crowded meeting rooms and restaurants.  So I have used a folding cane.  In those cases I have never had my cane taken.  I suspect that part of it is that I board with the crowd and by the time the flight attendant reaches me, the cane is folded and either in the pocket in front of me or in my brief case.  But mostly I will travel with my long fiberglass cane.  It is the tool I feel safest with.  I enjoy long walks, and when I'm away from home it is how I get my exercise and also how I learn about the places I'm staying in. 
To me it is strange that everyone on this list, and in fact everyone on any blind email list, would question another blind person's method of travel.  Dogs are as much of a problem as long fiberglass canes.  Yet, no one would stand by and allow the dog guide to be "safely stored" in a cupboard.  It would be very presumptive of me to suggest to dog guide users that they leave their dogs home and take a folding cane in order to make life easier for the flight attendants. 
But all of that aside.  Why are we not focusing on the basic assumption by the airlines that our travel canes are potential weapons.  Where are the statistics proving their contention.  Why are the national organizations not challenging them at that point rather than leaving it up to each blind cane user to fight one on one. 
Years ago in my state, insurance companies would not write a policy with double indemnity for a blind person.  The underwriters had fixed it in their minds that blind people posed a greater risk, and therefore they would not allow the double indemnity in cases of accidental death.  We fought them, demanding to see their statistics.  They had none and finally our state insurance commissioner ordered them to stop this discriminatory practice. 
But it took the force of the WCB to gain that change.  Individually we had been ignored. 
If this abrasive treatment by flight attendants, and any policies by the airlines is important enough, we need to demand that the ACB develop a policy, and we can pass a resolution demanding that our travel devices be kept with us during flight. 
 
Carl Jarvis
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Hachey
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: [acb-l] Here's a thought about Laurie and the nonflight

Hi all,
Isn't there a good way for airline passengers to store straight canes beside
their seats. I recall an old Monitor article on the subject that instructed
passengers to stow the cane on either side of the seats, that is, close to
the window or close to the aisle so that it is oriented lengthwise along the
edge of the seats. This sounds to me like an out of the way location.
Unfortunately, I don't think their are regs covering this so the paranoid
flight crews insist upon putting canes in a closet that is nowhere near your
seat. I could navagate a plane's interior without a cane safely, but I might
bump into others who may be in the aisle which is why i prefer to use a
cane.
Like it or not, folks, we blind folks and others who are different in other
ways are sentenced to a life of continually training others.
i must say though, that I'ave never been challenged to give up a folding
cane.
Bob Hachey

_______________________________________________
acb-l mailing list
acb-l@acb.org
http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l

No comments:

Post a Comment