Monday, January 10, 2011

On Independence

 
I am a citizen of the state of Washington and of the United States of America. 
My "membership" in these organizations gives me a structure, rules, laws, expectations, and guidance from which I draw to conduct my daily life. 
I might say that I am independent, but I am independent only through the support of all of those afore mentioned controls. 
As a blind man, I chose to join the American Council of the Blind(ACB).  The ACB does for my life as a blind man exactly what my "membership" in America does for my larger life. 
Again, no one is truly independent.  It can't be done.  It's a myth, a Fairy Tale sold to us to help keep us away from exercising collective power. 
Nothing is independent.  The very air we breathe depends on gravity to hold it close to Earth.  The tree depends upon soil, rain and sun to exist.  The blind woman walking with her dog guide depends upon a community that has provided roads and sidewalks, police protection, fire protection, traffic signals, buses, farmers who bring in the days food, and on and on and on.  Then this person looks up and says, "I am independent!" 
Well, we had better pinch ourselves my friends, because it just ain't true. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment