Sunday, October 23, 2011

It's tough to always be right

When I was a Christian, I studied the Word of God, the Holy Bible.  My particular denomination believed that all answers to all of Life's problems were to be found between those Holy covers.  And so I read and studied and contemplated.  I accepted the absolute fact that God created the Universe and all within it.  When any question arose, you simply took it to the Church Elders.  They knew the Word of God in such minute detail that they could tell you exactly what God intended the answer to be.  No question.  Everything was in absolute.  If God felt that Richard Nixon should be president of the United States, there was no questioning Him. 
When our Elders declared that Senator Kennedy was not to be selected as president because he would allow the Pope to run the nation, I began to back away from religion. 
At first I contented myself just to question the Elders basis for their declarations.  After a while I found that the church was barely tolerating me, and I was barely tolerating the church. 
It truly is a strange world to live in.  Always being absolutely right...As long as being Right is approved by the church elders. 
 
Curious Carl
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: Echo Chamber?

That reminds me of a comment I once heard from a caller on a local radio
talk show. He said, "The left has one thing that puts them at a really big
disadvantage. They are willing to admit that they might possibly be wrong."


_     _      _

"The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple
unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry." - Richard Dawkins


Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/rogerbailey81


The Militant:
 http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
 http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
  http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
----- Original Message -----
From: "alice dampman humel" <alicedh@verizon.net>
To: <aevincent@ca.rr.com>; "Blind Democracy Discussion List"
<blind-democracy@octothorp.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: Echo Chamber?


>I agree with Carl and Abby here. While all of us are fairly
> entrenched in our leftie views, I think most of us do something
> that, in my experience at least, very few right wingers do, and
> that is *listen* to what the other person is saying. The other
> almost insurmountable problem I see with many right wingers is
> that they are so wound up in their own spin that there is nothing
> even resembling "fact." Events, numbers, comments, all are
> twisted to end up in lockstep with their agendas, and their minds
> are made up, dare I say closed, to any other possibility and even
> to the possibility that their "facts" are really nothing more
> than interpretations. These two things and perhaps others make
> true debate, discussion, and communication all but impossible
> with many, but of course not all, right wingers, particularly
> those on the far right, and most assuredly with the 1%.
> I, too, face enough right wing opinion all around me, from the
> local government to the mainstream media, to the people on the
> street. It has been a truly encouraging experience to be on this
> list and hear so many others speaking from the left, to feel that
> I am really not as alone as I sometimes feel. Of course, that
> does not mean we are little automatons who march in that right
> wing sort of lockstep I mentioned above, and I find those debates
> about one point or another of disagreement to be informative and
> enlightening.
> Alice
> alicedh@verizon.net
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Abby Vincent" <aevincent@ca.rr.com>
> To: "'Blind Democracy Discussion List'"
> <blind-democracy@octothorp.org>
> Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:41 PM
> Subject: RE: Echo Chamber?
>
>
> Although Libertarians sometimes provide entertainment value, I
> don't like hearing their beliefs any more than I like hearing
> modern-day Republicans.  I wish places like the Senate could be
> the great debating society they were intended to be.  No more.
> Democracy is just an obstacle the 1% have to overcome.  I agree
> with Carl that I wouldn't like this list if we tried to get both
> the left and right points of view.  I'm and old leftie and I need
> a lefty support group.
>
> Abby
>
>
>
> From: blind-democracy-bounces@octothorp.org
> [mailto:blind-democracy-bounces@octothorp.org] On Behalf Of Carl
> Jarvis
> Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:13 PM
> To: Blind Democracy Discussion List
> Subject: Re: Echo Chamber?
>
>
>
> All:
>
> While I enjoy discussing issues with folks of other persuasions,
> I joined this list mainly to get away from the constant hammering
> by the Right of Center.  There are so many places we can turn to
> for the 1% view point.  I'm looking for information and opinions
> to bolster my already biased beliefs.
>
> Naturally I am open to being convinced of the error of my ways.
> But I should warn you that it will take more than anything I've
> read on this list or heard on Fox.  I just believe that when I'm
> right, why mess my head up with other peoples misinformation.
>
>
>
> Carl Jarvis
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: ted chittenden <mailto:tchittenden@cox.net>
>
> To: Blind Democracy Discussion List
> <mailto:blind-democracy@octothorp.org>
>
> Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:27 AM
>
> Subject: Re: Echo Chamber?
>
>
>
> Kevin:
> It's hard to get both left and right together when both sides
> don't even agree on the facts. In addition, at least one of the
> other list members (Miriam, if memory serves) has said in the
> past that she, for one, would not feel comfortable with people on
> the "Far Right" on this list. It's hard to argue with her
> point--there was a far-right list member in the past who actually
> used another current member's mention of his/her (I won't mention
> names) sex life against him/her.
>
> All of that said, I will provide, when I can and if I feel it is
> appropriate, issues from the "Whiskey and Gunpowder" Internet
> magazine for wealthy libertarians to this list--it certainly
> holds views that are primarily not held on this list.
>
> Ted
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Blind-Democracy mailing list
> Blind-Democracy@octothorp.org
> http://www.octothorp.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-democracy
>
> _______________________________________________
> Blind-Democracy mailing list
> Blind-Democracy@octothorp.org
> http://www.octothorp.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-democracy

_______________________________________________
Blind-Democracy mailing list
Blind-Democracy@octothorp.org
http://www.octothorp.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-democracy

No comments:

Post a Comment