Monday, October 10, 2011

rambling thoughts on unemployment of the blind


    Good morning Na y Yah and All,
I quote the numbers but share your thoughts.  If, for example the 70% unemployed blind actually reflects the number of blind people wanting work, and that figure has been used for years, what does that say about our Vocational Rehabilitation Services? 
I much preferred the statement of 70% unemployed and under employed.  But this still looks high to me.  I have seen studies with figures as low as 34% of working age blind seeking employment.  Still far too large a number for us to feel we have leveled any playing fields. 
Today I heard that the figure 9.1% is still put forth as our national unemployment rate.  But in Black and Latino neighborhoods it is over 20%. 
I never see the unemployment rate for Wall Street.  And as far as I know all Billionaires are fully employed.  I keep waiting to see an announcement for a billionaire position, but I guess they are snapped up before they hit the help wanted section of the paper. 
I could start a little lower, since I am not a proud blind man.  I'd take some mid management millionaire position, if it were not a token, dead end job.  I do have my principles. 
Back in 1965, when I became totally blind, my VR counselor suggested that I work at the Lighthouse for the Blind.  I took a summer job between quarters at Shoreline Community College.  Actually I think it was the summer of 1966, but who's keeping score.  We worked at putting smudge pots together.  Quite a production line.  Too bad they didn't work once they were tested in the field.  But that job reminded me too much of the years I'd spent working in a drapery factory, so I told my VR counselor that I had all that sort of job experience I could stand.  What I wanted to train for was to be a high paid millionaire.  We searched the job catalog but they did not include such jobs or training for disabled folks.  Under "jobs and training for disabled persons", today they would probably say, "for persons of disability", but it would mean the same people, under that section it said, "See, Good Will Industries; Lighthouse for the Blind; Welfare Department". 
To put an end to this ramble, I did not ever become a millionaire.  But I did make my own way, with some help from the Department of Services for the Blind, lots of help from the Organized Blind(WSAB and NFBW and UBWS and finally, WCB), and a great deal or grit and determination.  Did I mention a tiny bit of good old BS, too?  Somebody had to package and sell me.  And I found that I knew my great strengths better than anyone else. 
Today, 46 years later, I am still working, and have never been in that 70% unemployment.  This year we actually are reduced to part time.  Not our choice.  We still provide rehab services to older blind and vision impaired seniors in Clallam and Jefferson counties. 
Frankly Na y Yah, I could not imagine not having something to occupy my time and whatever energy a 76 year old blind man can muster.  The world is so wild and crazy that I could not think of just sitting around waiting for a job to fall into my lap. 
And I know that you feel the same way, even though you have many years before you catch up to me. 
Best thoughts to you and to all the younger blind folks trying to crack the door of opportunity. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Na Y Yah
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:15 PM
Subject: RE: [Wcb-l] more thoughts on H.R.3086 -- Fair Wages for Workers with Dis

Hi Carl,

I wonder how many of the 60 to 70% are actually looking for a job?

I always hear this  approximate number or stat but are they really all searching for work?

 

Peace,

 

Na y Yah, Yvonne

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment