Friday, April 20, 2012

Journey to the center of the mind

Joe and Lovers of All Music, Everywhere.   
If you promise to keep this between the two of us, I have a dirty little secret.  I have everything Dylan ever wrote and recorded.  When I crank up the old Victrola, Cathy runs for the truck with her hands covering her ears. 
Just because I was forced to sing from the diaphragms, and believe that this produces the most pleasant tones, doesn't mean that I don't get down with some really great stuff that has been forced out through pinched nostrils. 
So much of what we love in music is connected to those special memories. 
In my drinking days, or should that be spelled, daze, I hung around several taverns and dance halls where swing music came from the western side, forced through the noses of the likes of Webb Pierce or Hank Snow.  My little heart flutters whenever I put on an old Louis Armstrong, and even those strange sounds coming from the mouth of Fats Domino thrill me. 
But I do have to confess that music has fallen to a new level in artists efforts to explore where no instrument has gone before.  There is stuff that, to my poor ears, is a jumble of off-key discords with no possible beat for the toes to tap to. 
But I say, "Fine!".  If that's your thing, go for it.  But don't look shocked if I run for the door with my hands clapped over my ears. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: Journey to the center of the mind

You know Carl I come from another generation.
 
But that's ok.
 
I mean I actually love dylan for example and he didn't sing from his diaphram. In fact he didn't sing from his throat. He has sung every song through his nose.
 
Still I love it for some strained reason.
 
Maybe I'm twisted, but it is good stuff.
 
At least for me it is.
 
Now I've got younger brothers who just hate this stuff.
 
But it is a matter of personal taste I guess.
 
And I've got folks in my family who think that swing is the "Cats Pajamas".
 
Personally most of it is formula to me but really good to dance too, and way better than that disco crap imo.
 
Regardless, in a former life I was a white man who could dance and strutted around the town in a "Zoot Suit" with a gold chain leading to the loins of my disaffection and, even real affection for that matter, for a pretty lass who would not sing, but rather would swing, with me around the dance floor.
 
Oh my even in my age and in revistations with those I knew when sighted this blind man can dance, though he can't sing a lick.
 
some of us defy stereotypes! Grin...
 
Again I wish I was around in the day for sure when dancing was king and I have a fondness for swing on that account.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment