Monday, April 9, 2012

Remembering Dan

Remembering Dan. 
 
Dan came to the orientation and training center from one of those places we're thinking of calling "socialization Centers". 
He was given a room and three meals a day and five dollars a month for spending money.  The remainder of his SSI went to the "Socialization Center" to cover his room and board.  During the day Dan worked in a large room with other lucky people all being socialized together.  They packaged things like sets of plastic knives, forks and spoons, putting them in little plastic bags. 
How this "Socialization Center' was funded, or who bought the items packaged by Dan, I do not know, but it was not putting money in his bank account. 
Nor was it training him for any sort of job on the "outside". 
When Dan was rescued and sent to our program, he had very poor social skills.  He could not begin to live on his own.  He mimicked the DD folks he had been working with for years.  Born totally blind and put in an orphanage and then bounced around Foster Homes before being sent to the work shop, Dan had about a third grade education.  But someone had taught him a little Braille. 
So we put Dan up in our dorm and set about habilitating him.  At one point I disrobed and actually climbed into the shower with him in order to teach him how to clean his entire body. 
Dan was a pretty quick learner.  I remember telling him that if he could write the entire Braille alphabet without making a single error I would take him to lunch at any restaurant of his choice.  Day after day Dan worked at that alphabet.  Once I thought he had it, but the letter y was incorrect.  I almost corrected it, but I knew that this was not going to help Dan. 
Then the day arrived.  Yes!  a perfect alphabet!  I cut it out, mounted it on construction paper and posted it on the activity board with a big sign(in print and in Braille) announcing Dan's success. 
Most of the staff and students decided they would join Dan and me for lunch...I made certain they knew that I was only treating Dan. 
"So, Dan", I inquired,  "Where would you like to dine?" 
I held my breath just thinking of all of the fine restaurants in Seattle. 
"MacDonald's!" cried Dan. 
We boarded the south bound bus and headed for the nearest MacDonald's, where Dan consumed two Big Mac's, two supersized fries and two vanilla shakes. 
Dan went on to complete our program and moved into his own apartment and worked for years at the Seattle Light House, earning at least a dignified wage above the minimum. 
Sadly, a couple of years ago, Dan suddenly became ill and died.  But when I think of him I still smile over that day he completed his perfect alphabet. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment