Friday, April 20, 2012

More Journey to the center of the mind

Joe and All Old Timers(pre 1960)
 
Well, my dad set  up his radio repair shop in half of my bed room in 1938.  So from the time I was 3 years old, I drifted off to sleep to the sound of Big Bands and Popular Radio Programs.  I have managed to enjoy some of every type of music that followed those swing years.  Somehow I even go back further, to the music of the twenty's and earlier.  Maybe it was also being played on the radios that my dad was repairing.  While I can work my way through almost any musical innovation, the one complaint I have that is common to most of today's music is that singers can't get the sound to come from any further down than the back of their throats.  We were taught that we had something called a diaphragm, and we were to always sing from it.  I swear that I feel as if some of our modern song birds sound as if they have been seized by the throat and are being strangled. 
This also makes understanding of lyrics difficult.  Both the strangulation and a tendency for our youth to try mumbling without moving their lips...while being strangled. 
 
I can only hold my own breath in anticipation of what next year will bring. 
 
Carl Jarvis
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: Journey to the center of the mind

It was prettypsydoleic or whatever though at the time wasn't it?
 
Man, brother we must be getting old.
 
Now, we know how we punks in the sixties felt about those old timers who though say big band music was boring and didn't understand how it might have been either revolutionary or at least well performed for its time.
 
Ok so revolutionary isn't the right term and certainly not in a political context.
 
 
But, many things are pretty differnt or were. some things touch chords, so to speak, and still others will fade in to the nether world.
 
This song isn't revolutionary but it is a good tune and one that is a part of my nostalgia as expressed.
 
It doesn't make Nugent a hero or a villain in and of itself. He's a bastard on other accounts.
 
But, he did, and I won't alter this opinion have a certain ammount of talent as vacuous as that is.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment