Wednesday, May 25, 2011

being accepted

 Blind people are different than sighted people.  Just as short people are different than tall people.  If you are short, try as you might you can't reach the top shelf at the grocery store. 
And if you are blonde and you want to look brunette, try as you may, without a bottle of dye, you can't make yourself look brunette. 
I have a Black friend who straightens her hair and does some sort of a rinse to lighten it.  She still looks like a Black person. 
There is nothing wrong with being who we are.  The problem is that we have been conned into feeling that we are not acceptable unless we look or act differently. 
Being blind makes me different.  liking who I am makes me acceptable.  People like me because I put them at ease, not because I have the ability to look them in the eye or wave my hands a certain way.  We are different, all of us.  But we are equal.  Different *And* equal. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment