Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Who do you trust?

Like the old TV game show, "Who do You Trust?" 
The fact is that most people, homeless or not,  are decent, honest folk. 
But remember, desperate times make desperate people. 
A bit of caution will keep us from being foolhardy. 
Today's street people are not the same sort of folks that we used to call, Skidrow Bums.  Those were the alcoholics, derelicts and mentally messed up people, mostly older men. 
Today entire families live in their cars and in abandoned garages or even under the overpasses.  They walk the streets looking for help.  Jobs, money, clothing, shelter.  Most will eagerly give you a hand for a few dollars.  Most are just trying to get by until they figure things out. 
But scattered among the growing numbers are those who will do anything to improve their situation.  If you open your purse and offer them a dollar and they see a wad of money, they'll grab and run.  If you allow them into your kitchen with your groceries and they see your lap top computer, it's the last time you'll have to worry about upgrading. 
And you and I can't be certain who is who. 
Remember, as blind people we are more vulnerable. Thieves will not take on a 250 pound, six foot three inch fellow if they see a little elderly lady struggling down the road with her bag of groceries and her big purse tucked under her arm. 
Even blind, I am less apt to be hassled on the street just because of my size.  But as I age, I become more of a target, big or not. 
Our friend Karen appears to have a reckless side.  And I think that all of us blind folks could use a pinch of daring.  We need to take on life as we find it and not hide behind drawn curtains and bolted doors. 
But for me there is a line beyond which I will not put my family or myself in jeopardy. 
On the street I treat all people with respect.  I do not become nervous aroundstreet people because I know too good and well that with just a twist of fate I could be standing along side them.  But for every uplifting experience Karen can relate, I can recall a story with adiffeerent outcome. 
We live in a remote area.  Down the road a neighbor and his wife hired a homeless man to do some odd jobs for them.  They even knew who his mother was, so it seemed safe enough. 
After he bound the two of them up in their basement, killed them and torched the house, he took their bank cards and drew out money from their account at the local bank machine.  And he had his picture taken.  So not only was he homeless, he also was really dumb. 
So as a blind man, living in the wilderness, I think about such random acts of violence.  It's like lightning.  It could strike at any moment, or never. 
Still, I plan to continue living my life as a free man, but I will stay just a bit on the side of caution. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment