Wednesday, May 25, 2011

is God hard up for volunteers?

Of course the first thing is that lots of young parents take or send their children to Sunday School, even if they, themselves do not attend regular church services. 
My dad was an avowed Atheist and my mother seldom went to church.  Yet she bundled my two sisters and me up and walked us to Sunday School. 
As a visually impaired person(VIP), I received kindness and extra help by the teachers and even from other children.  Treatment that I did not receive in public school or on the playfield.  I sang in the youth choirs and took part in all the various Holiday pageants, etc. 
Perhaps, drawing from my own limited experiences, parents found Church a safe haven for their blind children.  And, as with human nature being what it is, the blind children chose not to risk wandering away from this security.  There is something nice and comforting about putting your hand in the hand of God. 
And if you live in a culture that teaches you not to question authority and to accept on Faith all that your leaders and your employers and your parents tell you, then you never wonder why what you believe and what is going on around you makes no sense. 
 
We just returned from working with a 99 year old client.  A most lovely lady, with the Faith of a child.  "I had a stroke a couple of years ago and it left me blind and deaf on my right side. ," she told us.  "But I'm praying to God to be healed." 
This sweet lady has lived a long and often hard life.  But she owns her modest home where she's lived for the past 60 years.  She lost one daughter just a year ago to brain cancer.  Still, she counts her Blessings and told us that she is so thankful that God has allowed her to keep her mind clear and sharp. 
And so what does this old Agnostic tell this beautiful Soul? 
"Keep on praying, and while you are waiting we will see what service we can be to you." 
When we left she thanked us for allowing God to lead us to her. 
That's a pretty fine God who is broad minded enough to send an Agnostic to do His work. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment