Tuesday, May 24, 2011

THE END OF THE WORLD

This old Agnostic is hard pressed to understand how God fearing folks get themselves into such a bind.  First of all, from my Bible reading days when I was a true believer, God made it very clear that no man would know the time of the Rapture.  So naturally there are those stubborn folks who just got to prove God wrong. 
In those long ago days when I'd been baptized in the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongue and had visions, I was sitting in a prayer meeting at the home of my first wife's aunt and uncle. 
Suddenly the front door burst open and one of our group jumped into the room crying out excitedly, "The time is Now!"  He believed that God had selected him, out of all the true believers in the world, to whisper the day of the end.  We had only hours to gather ourselves and our loved ones together and drive to the top of Cougar Mountain, East of Seattle.  There we would await the Rapture.  People started jumping around like old Mexican jumping beans.  Before long about half the people in the room were out the door and down the street.  Those of us left behind sat stunned for a few minutes, and then poured another cup of coffee and wondered among ourselves just how we would greet our friends when they came back from the mountain...which they did the very next day. 
Well, if we were concerned about them being embarrassed, not to worry.  They showed up to our next meeting all smiles and happiness.  They said they'd rushed up Cougar mountain and began praying for all the poor lost Souls that would be left behind.  God, they told us, heard their prayers and spoke to one of them, saying, "Be not afraid my children.  For I have heard your prayers and I shall refrain from bringing you home now.  Go back into the world and spread the Good News". 
That was way back in late 1961 or early 1962.  So we have those people to thank for the extension. 
 
CuriousCarl
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [acb-chat] THE END OF THE WORLD

Hi, Ken and list,
Everyone I know is present and accounted for at almost twenty minutes 
to seven Pacific Time. No one really knows the day or the hour and I 
remember another time in 1962 when someone predicted the end of the 
world. It didn't happen then and it didn't happen tonight.
I have to say that I don't know how God will resolve things other than 
Jesus'return, which I believe will happen, but we don't really know 
when it is and that may be a good thing. Those people who withdrew and 
spent their life savings must be very upset this evening. I'm not 
happy about that; I'm not gloating. I think it's sad when people 
believe something without watching and waiting. Actually, most 
Christians have been very low-key about this.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment