Saturday, June 15, 2013

bumps & bruises (was: Blind Man)

How many times have I settled into my seat on a flight between Seattle and
Chicago or Denver only to hear the flight attendant explain that my seat
cushion may be used as a floatation device. I suppose the pilot will head
for the nearest duck pond in case of a crash?
In April I will gain the age of 76. I still have ten fingers and ten toes
and one three times broken nose. I have fallen out of trees, both sighted
and blind, done a couple of swan dives off our deck, breaking a couple of
ribs, sliced fingers and hands with a variety of knives and saws, slammed
toes with several different heavy items such as rocks and tamping bars,
drank half of lake Taps when I couldn't get my head above water while water
skiing, tumbled over a few snow banks, and been mauled by shoppers at the
mall.
I've fallen twice into hornets nests, been missed by falling trees in heavy
wind storms, been stalked by at least one bear, travelled alone from coast
to coast and spent many hours bumping about sleazy bars in Seattle's
Skidroad.
I've marched in rallies, been threatened by police, was almost shoved off a
dock on the Mississippi river by a crazy mob, trapped in several elevators,
dropped four floors in another elevator, been threatened on city buses by
weird lost Souls, including being caught in the middle of a knife fight
without having a knife of my own, had my life threatened, had my wife
stalked, but I've never been robbed at gun point...yet.
In short, I've lived my life as best I could, taking too many chances but
knowing that this is what happens when you become fully involved in living
life to its fullest. I have eternity to be kept safe. Right now I'll head
out again to see what life holds for me.

Carl Jarvis

----- Original Message -----
From: alice dampman Humel
To: John Heim ; acb-l@acb.org
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [acb-l] bumps & bruises (was: Blind Man)


John,
I totally agree with you. additionally, I think there are
many sighted professional carpenters out there with a missing
finger or two, or at least part of fingers.
As irritating as I find all these nervous nellies who truly
do seem to think that if you are blind, you should not move, I
think our society in general has become so obsessed with this
holy grail of "safety" and the futile efforts to prevent all
"accidents," to deceive us into thinking it can be done, or at
least blame every accident on someone or something after it does
happen.
Ever read the pages of safety instructions that now seem to
be part of every gadget, really helpful things like don't stick
your fingers in the wall outlet? Anybody with kiddies in school
get the robocalls reminding the parents that it's winter, so
dress the kiddie warmly? Are we becoming incapable of thinking
for ourselves? Do we have to be told in the theater that in case
of emergency, find the exit, follow the directions of your usher,
blah, blah, blah? Is all this making people stupider than they
already are? Is this connected to most people's incapability to
listen to music or a book or talk on a cell phone while walking
without causing major pedestrian traffic casualties? We won't
even talk about driving...I wonder...
Alice
alicedh@verizon.net
----- Or

No comments:

Post a Comment