Saturday, June 15, 2013

Reflecting on the president's message in the June EForum

Subject: Reflecting on the president's message in the June EForum


Ron's last post caused me to reflect on president Mitches report in the Jun
2013 Forum.
What? You've overlooked reading it?
Well shucks and golly, just stop right here and go back and take a good long
gander.

Now, if you're back, coffee cup in hand and ready to think...okay, coffee in
hand is good enough for Saturday morning.
While the question Mitch addressed was, will there ever be one organization
of the blind, I want to apply his comments to how we are behaving within the
ACB, toward one another.
My question is, will we ever learn how to get along with our differences,
within the ACB?
Until we can firmly answer, "Yes!", I would suggest that we set aside the
question of the two national organizations merging.
In fact, the ACB could be a great training ground for us all to practice
respect for one another's differences. And while we are at it we might
practice liking ourselves, too.
In order to have any hope of ending the Universal Blind Stereotype, we will
first need to learn to stop acting the role of the victim. And we will need
to begin respecting our differences, celebrating them and promoting them.
Look, just because someone thinks that I am full of baloney doesn't mean
that we can't still respect one another and be friends. We've been
conditioned to treat anyone we disagree with as if they were Demon
possessed.
Despite my being a Radical Agnostic, would you believe that I raised three
beautiful children without ever beating them? That I've been a faithful
husband and best friend to my wife? That I have never been rude to any of
the many Jehovah Witnesses who come to my door?
I pay my bills and taxes and carry only a small line of credit.
In short, I'm not so different from anyone else on this list. And neither
are any of you.
Let's learn to express our ideas and opinions and accept those of others.
Then we can carry on lively exchanges without getting all knotted up and
attacking one another personally.
Once we have gotten that down pat, then we might begin to think about how we
exchange ideas and address philosophical differences with other blind
organizations.
So, having beaten that dead horse one time too many, I do want to say that
it is possible to interact with the NFB without needing to fold our
organizations into one another. Our structures are drastically different.
We can respect that. We don't need to feel as if, just because we are right
and they are wrong, that this makes them fire breathing monsters.
My very close and personal friend is a member of the NFB. Dan Frye is a man
whom I trust beyond question. Dan and I most likely will never agree on our
affiliations, nor will we ever change the other's mind. But I hold Dan in
the highest regard. I respect him...and I believe it is a mutual affair.

Why can't folks say, "Carl, you are just plain wrong," and continue liking
me? Or at least stop believing that I turn into a marauding werewolf under
the full moon. ...although I must admit,I'm sure tired in the mornings.

Carl Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment