Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Can't never did anything

 
My mother used to say, "Can't never did anything".  And so it is for many blind people.  We have been so conditioned to believe that we can't, that we are immobilized by our own negative thinking. 
So, to suggest that with proper attitudes and training we *Can do the average job in the average place of business, we are coaxed into looking at our world from a different vantage point.  With a "Can Do" attitude we begin thinking in terms of how to do the job rather than to dismiss it out of hand. 
As I mentioned earlier, I am able to do my work as a rehab teacher.  But in order to do so, Cathy and I formed a team.  Since we cover four very large counties, it requires lots of driving.  But when this contract was offered to me 16 years ago I could have very easily said, "Cover four counties?  I can't do that!" 
Instead I sat down with Cathy and we decided that this was something we wanted to do together.  We lay out the job and decided who was going to do which parts of it.  Instead of just one of us tackling the contract, we took it on together.  Personally I believe the state of Washington has no better rehab team in the field. 
 
Curious Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment