Wednesday, July 28, 2010

on human nature

 
Human Nature is alive and well and unchanged. 
Those in power continue to do all they can to hold onto it, including cheat, steal, lie and murder.  The ignorant continue to say, "What, me worry?" 
The uninvolved say, "Don't look at me, I'm just doing my job and keeping my nose clean". 
The poor tell us that they never were given a chance, and the few of them who get one become just like the other Power Players. 
And a small number of folks go about trying to make a better world for their children and themselves.  Some conditions have changed.  We've gone from an agricultural based society to a factory economy to an industrial might to...whatever we are today. 
We've gone from the farm to the cities, from an isolated nation to a world conqueror.  But our nature has not changed at all.  Just pick up the Bible and wander through its pages from murder to mayhem.  From raging wars to entire peoples enslaved.  From ruthlessness to total destruction of whole civilizations. 
Rather than a book of inspiration, to me the Bible, Old and New Testaments, record our shame and failure to learn simple lessons in human survival. 
I have often likened Earth to the Garden of Eden.  And we are the collective Adams and Eves, about to be cast from the Garden by our own greed and ignorance. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment