Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Chirping NLS Digital Player

My Chirping NLS Digital Player
 
"What's that?" Cathy asked me as we were flying down highway 3 headed for home.  "What's what", I responded, dragging my attention away from the "Who Done It" we were listening to. 
"That chirping sound," Cathy said. 
I dutifully listened.  No sound other than the reader's voice.  Then, there it was, a metallic chirp.  "What is that?"  I repeated her question, picking up the digital player for a closer look.  "It's coming from either the player or the cartridge," she ventured. 
There it went again, very distinct. 
"It wasn't there last night when we were listening to this same book," I said. 
"Maybe it's a flaw in the cartridge," Cathy thought.  We have been down loading our books from the NLS web site. 
It chirped again.  And again. 
"What the Dickens!" I exclaimed.  "The darn thing is getting worse". 
From the truck I called the WTBBL and described what was happening.  "I just heard it, too", said the voice over the phone.  "I have no idea what that sound is, but you'd better box it up and send it back so we can mail you another." 
All the way home we listened to the chirp because no matter what we did it kept repeating.  Even when I pulled the cartridge out and even when I turned the player off.  I pushed every button and turned the darn thing on and off a dozen times with no change.  "Chirp" it would go. 
So we turned up the volume and listened to the book over it's chirping. 
Arriving home I hauled the player into the bed room planning to fish out the box and get it off in the morning mail.  Cathy took her belongings into the office.  "Listen!"  I heard her say from down the hall.  I came into the office doorway and waited.  "I still hear the chirp", she said.  "Close the door, I think it's in here". 
"But the player is in the bedroom," I said as I shut the door. 
"I've got it!" she exclaimed.  "It's my cell phone.  It's signaling that it needs charging". 
I sheepishly called the library and told them not to send me a replacement player. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment