Saturday, April 16, 2011

Education; how much is too much; how much is not enough

When I entered the University of Washington in 1954, Tuition was $50 per quarter.  Books ran around $2.50 to $3.50 each.  Bus fare was ten cents each way.  I lived at home and worked part time for $1.25 an hour and paid my way through school...as far as I went that time.  I never graduated. 
When I hired on as a Rehab Teacher at the Department of Services for the Blind in 1975, all I needed was two years of college and two years working with blind people.  That's where my volunteer work came in handy. 
Today, 36 years later, I have never been out of a job.  And, perhaps I should not fess up to this, I am still one quarter shy of a Bachelor's degree. 
But the young college grad who wants my job today must have not only a Master's degree but be a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, too. 
The interesting thing is that I see little difference between the accomplishments of these VRC's and the old warriors with their much more limited education.  Perhaps there is something to be said about laboring in the trenches. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment