Monday, April 25, 2011

For what it's worth.

While having a disability can impact ones self esteem, self advocacy is a learned skill and must be practiced continuously.  Folks accepted into the group, regardless of whether it is a minority group or not, will have greater self esteem than those pushed to the edges of the group. 
This is another strong plus for an organization like the ACB.  If we treat ourselves properly, with respect  and tolerance, we will be assisting one another toward becoming better at self advocating. 
 
Curious Carl
----- Original Message -----
From: Marsha
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: For what it's worth.

Hi
  although I was born blind, I didn't know that I was until I entered
college.  I think I had 20/300 vision until I got out of college.  I now
have no real vision.  Sometimes I can see light and sometimes I cannot.
Maybe if I had known my life might be different.  I'm always willing to
fight for others but not for myself.

Marsha

_______________________________________________
Blind-Democracy mailing list
Blind-Democracy@octothorp.org
http://www.octothorp.org/mailman/listinfo/blind-democracy

No comments:

Post a Comment