Saturday, April 16, 2011

who counts our votes?

When I first voted, Washington State had moved away from the paper ballot, at least in Seattle, and I entered a booth, pulled closed a curtain and moved little levers beside the names of the people and issues I wished to support.  When finished, I pulled a lever and the curtain opened and my vote was tallied honestly.  I never questioned that fact.  My vote was tallied because I believed that I lived in America where we held open, fair elections and had officials who counted all votes without prejudice. 
That was then and this is now.  Today I would have no trust in that machine to fairly and impartially register my vote.  Why?  Because I no longer believe we hold open, fair elections.  So it's not the recording method that I have come to distrust.  It is the Human Factor.  We are once again being distracted by the method of how we caste our vote while the real issue, one of honest government, flies under our radar. 
When the system, the government is fair, almost any method of counting votes will do.  When the system, government is corrupt or when it is weighted to support only a small percentage of the people, then no method will work. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment