Thursday, September 2, 2010

Artificial Minds, Virtual Bodies and Ray Kurzweil

In his book, The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human Intelligence by
Ray Kurzweil 388 pages, $25.95 (hardcover) published by Viking, Ray suggests, among many strange and wonderful theories, that once we are transcended into our new eternal bodies we will enjoy vertual sex even more than the real thing. 
Not to quibble, but I think that most sex actually is virtual sex.  At least on the part of us guys. 
Just a thought. 
But besides that, trying to get my mind around Ray Kurzweil's concept regarding  having my brain down loaded into some device that then becomes me...that's just too much.  I mean, when the flesh and blood me finally dies, will I actually then be the unhuman me?  Or will that device just go about with all of my stored up memories in its head?  I think Ray is fooling himself.  He's not going to beat the Grim Reaper that way. 
Look, I turn on an old Jack Benny radio program.  There's Jack and the entire gang, alive and well.  They  exhibit all the  memories of the actual people, except that they aren't. 
Even if my unhuman me had the ability to add to the information stored in it, I would still be dead and would not care one whit that my memories continued to exist. 
 
The Real Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment