Thursday, September 30, 2010

Joe Arpaio: victim of a witch hunt?

Subject: Re: Joe Arpaio's office misused up to $80 million, Maricopa County says. 
Some believe the sherriff is the victim of a witch hunt. 

 
Yup, it's a witch hunt all right. 
We are hunting for witch America we want to live in.  One that puts people in prison in order to continue punishing them, or one that withholds people's freedom and works to improve their chances to live as contributing citizens. 
In my youth the rule of thumb in child rearing was, "Spare the rod and spoil the child".  Today's world is overrun by the products of that philosophy.  It seems to me that maybe there needs to be some thinking outside of the prison box. 
When I was punished as a lad, I was often placed in a corner with a spoonful of red pepper on my tongue.  At times I was simply shaken and slapped and spanked with a Willow branch.  This "training" taught me to be very sneaky and do my best never to get caught. 
It took many years to work my way out of that mind set.  We raised our children to understand that they were responsible people and we would explore together the results of their wayward actions.  We taught Trust and Love.  I am pleased to report that not only are my children upstanding citizens, but they have chosen to raise their children in the same manner.  With one exception.  They all agree that Dad lectured far too much. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment