Monday, September 6, 2010

the duty of a good patriot


Organizations, like people, grow and change.  During my years as a blind man I have been a member of both the American Council of the Blind(ACB), and of the National Federation of the Blind(NFB).  But I would not judge the NFB based on my experiences from back in 1969 to 1980.  I do know that the NFB has grown and morphed  from a self proclaimed "grass roots" movement into a Nation-wide membership agency.  The ACB is now the only nation-wide membership organization of the blind. 
Both organizations claim to be run by their conventions.  But even if that is true, the focus is very different.  The ACB brings issues from the local and state chapters, as well as from individual members.  The NFB is a "top down" government focused on the development of a strong central office, and in particular the building and maintenence of the Jernigan Center.  Both the Council and the Federation see blind people being treated as second class citizens and both are committed to changing public attitudes until we are accepted as equal partners in society. 
Regarding those people who take issue with members of the NFB proclaiming their pride in being "Federationists", what is so wrong with that?  I am proud to be a member of the ACB.  It's just a bit clumsy to try saying, "I'm a ACBer".  It doesn't even come out right on this email.  But still, I am proud of my membership.  I am also proud to be an American, despite my many issues with my government.  In fact, I see that as part of my responsibility as a patriotic citizen.  And I see part of my responsibility as an good ACBer to speak out when something bothers me. 
This appears to be a major difference between the ACB and the NFB.  Federationist seem to feel that they must not challenge their leaders.  And they must always defend their organization, right or wrong.  Just as some Americans do. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment