Sunday, September 12, 2010

on raising Babies

Recent remarks remind me why I never get too excited over the "Scientific" proclamations and other mumblings from the professionals.  What we believe to be Gospel Truth today will be scoffed and ridiculed tomorrow.  It's just my opinion, but I believe that most new mothers have better instincts than all the "findings" of the Educators. 
My grandma used to say, "If they spent more time raising their own children we wouldn't have so much nonsense being written."  But then grandma only successfully raised 6 children.  What could she possibly know. 
But I digress. 
We seem to worry too much over our children's progress when they are very young.  Are they walking at the "normal" age?  Do they see what other children see?  Is it "normal" for them to poop and play in it? 
Well, I learned that the "norm" was a standard imposed upon our children by people, many of them childless, who saw our precious babes as nothing more than lab rats. 
My three children all grew up to be happy, well adjusted)whatever that means) adults without my ever needing to check them against any chart.  In fact I only "saw" my eldest daughter until she was two and a half years old.  Many of the so called experts would have told me that I was not qualified to raise children because I could not "see" them in order to properly guide them through life's pitfalls. 
Whenever someone asks me, "does this seem normal for my child?"  I simply tell them, "Just kick back and enjoy your baby and forget what others say." 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment