Monday, December 20, 2010

hats off to the teacher who takes time to teach

Hopefully everyone reading this is either a parent, a teacher or a lover of people. 
As such we have a responsibility to provide guidance and training to the next generation.  The more we involve ourselves in the process, the finer the results.  I grew up in a time when spanking, whipping, slapping, shaking by the hair and screaming were accepted methods of training children.  Once the beating ceased we knew never to do "that" again, whatever "that" was.  No one explained anything.  We were expected to know.  And what kind of a world did we create out of this upbringing?  Just look about you.  Illegal wars, a nation that accepts torture, under another name, and violence as a way of life. 
I know, you're going to say, "Not me!  I'm not that way."  Okay, I'll grant you a "get out of jail" card if you'll tell me just what you are doing to stop the violence that has become more and more a way of American Life.  Just simple things like watching a TV program or movie where the theme is sexual violence.  And trust me this is so prevalent that it slips past us much of the time, Do you just shake your head?  Or do you take time to inform the sponsors and network that this is no longer an acceptable theme. 
Do you attend public meetings, PTA meetings, political meetings and rallies in order to speak out on critical issues?  Or do you sit back and simply say, "The world's going to Hell in a hand basket". 
I tip my hat, or baseball cap, to the teacher who understands the value of making the time to talk to students who break the rules, making certain that the student really gets beyond the punishment and understands the lesson. 
We have seen for many generations just what force and violence create.  Submission and hatred and ultimate rebellion.  I think we may be seeing that rebellion in our youth today. 
Cathy and I made the time to interact with our children.  We explained that physical punishment only teaches that when you are big you get to beat on your children.  We played together, worked together and discussed the consequences of misconduct. Of course the children call it, "Dad's long, long lectures". 
But they all are raising up children in the same manner.  So I know it can be done. 
And that is why I stand up and cheer for that teacher who takes the time to talk to her students who break the rules.  A corner may be turned.  A child may go into adulthood  remembering that lesson. 
 
Curious Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment