Saturday, December 11, 2010

What's it all about anyway?

Well, just to quibble, I am an avowed, committed Agnostic, not an Atheist.  That means I prefer to straddle the fence, saying, "I can't prove there is, but I can't prove there isn't." 
Spirituality?  I know that there is a Human Connection.  Unseen Forces that link us together.  I know that our five senses only bring a small piece of all that is going on around us to our awareness.  I know that our collective time of human existence has been so brief, and the universe so vast, that we will possibly never know just what it is we find ourselves in. 
Certainly there is a Creative Force.  Some lean toward a big bang beginning.  I wonder what came together to cause the big bang, and what it was before that?  Some believe an intelligent being or force created all of this fantastic universe.  Where did it come from and why did it cause something as violent as the universe to come into being?  Some say we have a loving Being, who created a wonderful world and gave us this amazing body.  Yet the planet exists by devouring itself.  Life is built upon death.  The big eat the little.  The strong eat the helpless. 
And yet, I am thrilled each day that I open my mind to the world.  What an amazing experience my life is, and the lives of those around me.  What can we humans do to ensure both our future and that of our planet?  Can we save ourselves before some destroy it all? 
Again, it is the strong devouring the weak.  Corporate greed, like a giant cancer, eating away at our innards.  Can we find a cure in time? 
Meanwhile, back in the fish bowl.  We find ourselves limited by our short time on earth, and by our limited experiences regarding what the mighty universe is all about.  Like gold fish swimming in the little bowl, we only know for sure what is around us.  So of course we think we are wonderful creations.  We are all we know.  We think this planet is perfect and beautiful, and it is beautiful, because it is what we are adapted to live in.  If we lived on Mars, we would be going about praising that wonderful globe. 
 
Anyway, I am open to everyone's beliefs because they are just as valid as mine.  If someone tells me that there is a Creator, why not?  It's as good as calling it "the Big Bang". 
 
Curious Carl
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment