Sunday, December 26, 2010

not a happy camper

Subject: not a happy camper
 
 
Following is a word of warning to anyone considering becoming "self employed" and contracting with the State of Washington. 
Curious Carl

Hi Kim,
Hope you had a very Merry Christmas.  Did your pay check come through in a timely manner? 
Ours is still not here(it's Christmas morning as I write). 
Do not think that I am pointing an angry finger at you.  I am not.  I understand what overwork looks like, having been a government employee for many years.  But I am angry at a system that values its contractors so little that their pay check can come along whenever. 
We are bound to a fat contract that protects the System seven ways to Sunday, but gives Damn little consideration to the folks slaving in the trenches.  And I am not blind to the fact that this same System holds you and other lowly employees in the same contempt.  But at least as a state employee, I always received my pay check on the same day each month. 
I know you already know what I am about to say, but for the record contract workers put out all of their own money up front to do the work of the State.  So by December 25, we are waiting for reimbursement of money spent beginning November 1.  This is a sweet deal for the State, but very unfair to the field hands. 
I could go on for some distance but I feel my temper settling down so I will go and fix my bowl of gruel and sip thin tea. 
Merry Christmas! 
 
Carl Jarvis, Director
Peninsula Rehabilitation Services
2510 Snow Creek Road
Quilcene, WA 98376
phone: 360-765-4239
fax: 360-765-5053
 

No comments:

Post a Comment