Thursday, January 19, 2012

NFB V. ACB

Subject: Re: NFB V. ACB

My grumble with the NFB is not as much regarding their basic philosophy, although it is rather narrowly focused toward working blind people of some financial means, my problem has always been with the structure of the organization. 
If NFB called itself a National Agency of and for the Blind, I could live with that.  Or perhaps, The National Federation of the Blind Corporation.  But to play the game that they are somehow a "grass roots movement" or, "the blind leading the blind", is just plain untrue. 
Just because an organization holds conventions and people come and vote for stuff does not make that organization a grass roots movement. 
Regardless of whether we like or dislike how ACB is run, we have the ability to change policies and priorities, as well as officers.  We have no lifetime officers.  We don't even always treat our officers with the respect their office should receive.  But that's part of a give and take, honest to goodness, real peoples grass roots movement. 
And ACB is the only such game in town. 
But if folks like being told what to think, and who to vote for, and how much money they should be giving, etc., then have a go with the NFB.  I have several very good and sincere friends in that Company, and I have great respect for what they believe they are doing. 
 
Curious Carl
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [acb-chat] NFB V. ACB

Darla, I have similar feelings. I don't agree with the NFB's basic philosophies. So, I don't associate myself with them. I listen to what they say from time to time but cannot support their basic premise. I do agree and support ACB's basic premise so thus I choose to associate with them. However, where I withhold my time and efforts is with my state's chapter of ACB. I do not feel that the current power structure is keeping with the ACB's philosophies of all inclusiveness and grass roots bottom up approach. We talked some time ago, on a different list, about how insular things are around here.  But, that is just the state of affairs here in MA and that doesn't discredit the ACB as a whole.

Frank

 

No comments:

Post a Comment