Saturday, January 21, 2012

speaking of blind piano players making a living


There have been well known blind pianists.  Alec Templeton comes to mind, and I had the pleasure and privilege of spending an afternoon visiting with George Shearing.  I think Louis Braille made a living as a church organist.  Now if you can sing and ham it up, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder come to mind. 
I've known several good piano players who actually made their living as Tuners, earning extra dollars playing for church or club appearances. 
But most of the piano players that I know, like most of those playing any instrument, do it to fill their own needs.  Oh yes, I also know good piano players who teach music for a living. 
I think the key to having a paying job out of playing the piano is a commitment of time.  Some talent helps, but average piano players have been able to parley their basic skill with showmanship and do rather well.  Liberace comes to mind. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment