Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fw: [libertyunderground] LUV News Sat 1 September 2012is money the only reward?

From Ted: 

Carl:
I'm afraid that I must disagree with you, Bob, and Roger. I am not interested in a complete overthrowing of the system--that just creates a whole new class at the top. I'm not interested in taking away money as a reward--you will not get peoples' best efforts if you do that. What I *am* interested in is making sure that 1) the gap between the wealthiest and the poorest is not so great that it causes hardships and death among the latter group; and 2) it is relatively easy for the poor and middle classes to move into the upper classes.

In other words, if it's revolution that you want, then you can count me out!
--
Ted Chittenden
 
Ted,
Well, it's not going to be my call.  I'm 77 years old and any revolution will be so long in coming that my children may not even see it. 
But why do you cling to the notion that people will not do their best if they are not rewarded with money?  I might say I find it personally insulting since my life's work has been for other rewards, and I believe that I have given it my best...most of the time. 
When money becomes the measure of success, then real advances are too often passed over. 
An example would be the development of some wonder drug.  It is produced and promoted and sold at a huge profit to the manufacturer.  Then a question is raised concerning the drugs safety in certain cases.  The company quickly does damage control, calling the charges false and blocking any attempt for outside investigation.  People die before the drug is finally removed from sale.  Money, wealth, it has an hypnotic power. 
And it is a major contributor to our Class systems. 
Carl Jarvis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment