Friday, December 30, 2011

INDIANS GREET CUBAN PEOPLE ON ANNIVERSARY

Subject: Re: INDIANS GREET CUBAN PEOPLE ON ANNIVERSARY

Miriam,
It was Israel.  Whenever I see the United States and Israel standing side by side, I'm reminded of my boss and his shadow.  This was back in the 50's and 60's when I worked for Bartmann and Bixer, making America's housewives happy with our cheap drapes and window curtains and bedspreads.  Such rewarding work that we all worked real cheap just for the joy of bringing a little pleasure to women across the nation. 
But back to my memory.  Stan Silver was the big boss.  Built like the ex-marine that he was, waves of black shiny hair, big toothey grin, but his eyes never smiled so we called him Mac the Knife(behind his back, of course), he exhumed confidence. 
Then there was David Israel.  Shorter than Stan Silver, and slight of build, nonetheless he parroted the boss to the letter.  He walked across the factory with the same jaunty stride, head cocked the same, hat set upon his head just like Mister Big, same cut of clothes.  Everything the same except that air of command.  Stan had it and David did not.  And furthermore, in the 8 years I worked in that factory, David never got it.  He walked in the shadow of Mister Silver and believed that he actually had his own power.  But it was just borrowed. 
I left when I lost the sight in my remaining eye, and the company later closed it's Seattle plant and moved to Los Angeles, so I have no knowledge of what happened when Stan retired and little David had to stand alone.  But I can only feel sorry for him. 
 
Curious Carl
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:26 PM
Subject: RE: INDIANS GREET CUBAN PEOPLE ON ANNIVERSARY

I don't remember that the U.N. vote against the Cuban blockade was reported
here although it must have been.  Anyway, I assume that the one country that
voted with the U.S. was Israel.  Am I correct?

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment