Wednesday, December 28, 2011

the training and care of humans

Perhaps dogs are the more affable and patient in their training of us Humans, but cats also have this natural talent. 
Winston, the Wonder Cat has both
Cathy and myself trained, but mostly Cathy. 
I am told by Winston when he needs more food and when he wants out...or in.  The call for food is verbal...loud meowing, while the in and out commands are done via clawing on the woodwork nearest the desired door. 
But his real charm is how he has conned Cathy into letting him snuggle in her lap.  She might be sitting at her computer ordering supplies or doing client entry work.  Winston walks past me, seated at my computer, and stares up lovingly at Cathy. 
"Forget it!" she snaps.  "You're not getting up here!"  Winston moves ever closer, gazing with longing at her lap.    She looks down.  "All right.  Get up here." 
Did I mention that Winston the Wonder Cat weighs 23 pounds?  He can sit on Cathy's lap until her legs go numb.  "Winston, you're killing my legs", she groans. 
"Put him down", I suggest.  "you're bigger than he is". 
That usually is not the smart thing to say.  We both know that I'm just as big a pushover as she is, but Winston seldom selects my lap. 
Now that he is almost totally blind we make certain that Winston does not have obstacles in his path, and we hover about the door when he goes out, fearful that he will wander into the jaws of a waiting coyote. 
And yet, Winston the Wonder Cat continues to capture...and eat...the field mice who foolishly decide to live in our garage. 
12 years old, rolley-polley and blind, Winston continues to do what he does best, usually leaving only the tail as proof that he is still hard at work. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment