Saturday, December 17, 2011

Romney Tried to Levy a "User Fee" on Being Blind When Governor of Massachusetts

Subject: Re: Romney Tried to Levy a "User Fee" on Being Blind When Governor of Massachusetts

I assume the blind person wasn't certified and therefore, couldn't qualify
for programs or aid for blind people.

Miriam
 

This is exactly what it meant Miriam. 
But forcing the blind to register for a 10 dollar fee is more than a method of certifying blind people in order to put a dribble of extra dollars in the state's treasury.  As you say, once such a list is established it becomes the only way blind people can prove that they qualify for any of the governmental services, and eventually for any assistance. 
Lists that single out particular people are dangerous.  Just ask any old Jew left over from Nazi Germany. 
Why set up an extra certification anyway?  When most of us were told by our eye physicians that we were blind or legally blind, the doctor offered to provide us with a letter stating this information.  What good purpose would it serve me or anyone, for me to then have to take that letter and apply for a certificate from the state? 
Who would use such a list?  Presently I do not go about announcing to the world that I am a blind man.  I don't hide this fact, but when the phone rings or a knock at my door exposes me to a stranger, I may choose not to give them information that could put me at a disadvantage.  We do live in a Land of Predators.  There are those folks who make their living by taking advantage of others.  Telling a strange voice on the phone that I'm blind could bring an unwanted guest to my basement door in the middle of the night. 
So why would I want the state to hold a list with my name on it, declaring that I am fair game to anyone who could access that list.  And trust me, once you are on the list, there will be many who will use it for all sorts of purposes. 
I don't recall the town, but years ago a city decided that it would be a good idea to put a big sticker with the letter "I" to identify the bed room of disabled individuals in private homes. 
That way, if there were an emergency or a fire, the authorities could quickly rescue the disabled person.  And who else noticed these signs?  Here was an invitation to enterprising crooks to just "come on in".  And they did.  End of signs. 
No list.  No thanks. 
 
Curious Carl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment