Saturday, December 31, 2011

my wandering mind...or what's left of it

Subject: my wandering mind...or what's left of it

70 years ago.  1941 was grinning up at 1942.  They always showed the New Year prancing in on tippy toes, dressed in a diaper, while the Old Year looked elderly and totally worn out.  It's amazing what 365 days can do to a Year. 
But what I really remember is returning to school after the Christmas break...we did call it Christmas vacation back then...and I picked up my #2 pencil and a piece of paper with heavy blue lines and wood chips still floating around in it.  At the upper right hand corner I wrote the new date, Monday, January 5, 1942. 
I sat staring at that new date.  It really looked strange.  From September through December I'd been writing 1941, and that looked right and proper.  But 1942?  It really took some getting used to.  It must have been my age, still 6 years old, because no other date stands out in my mind...until the year 2000.  That one took some serious getting used to. 
There is still one more date that I am eager to greet.  2020!  Twenty twenty.  If ever it is going to happen, on January 1, 2020 I am hoping I regain my eyesight. 
But whether or not, here's wishing you all a wild and crazy New Year. 
 
Curious Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment