Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Newt Gingrich just called little old me!!!

Subject: Newt Gingrich just called little old me!!!

"Hello, this is Newt Gingrich..." 
I jumped for joy. 
"Newt", I shouted, "Boy, have I been wanting to talk with you..." 
But then I realized that it wasn't Newt at all, it was  just his recorded voice. 
But nonetheless I let him have an ear full! 
Newt didn't even slow down.  "I want to be your president, and I believe that I have the greatest qualifications for the job..." 
"I should hope so," I jeered.  "When it comes to screwing folks, I hear you got plenty of practice". 
Oh well.  Newt was still laying it on me as I hung up the phone. 
But it got me to thinking.  Lately we've had some comments about blind beggars and how that makes us feel.  Some think they make a bad impression about blindness.  Others feel that they should pay their fair share of taxes on the money they beg.  And others don't care. 
I was getting prepared to jump into this conversation with both feet, when Newt called, and just like that, he cleared my head. 
I mean, why are we even talking about blind beggars, real or fake?  While we debate their right to squeeze a few dollars out of us, the Empire Builders are robbing us blinder.  Some of us don't want to drop a dime into a beggar's cup, but think nothing of having our taxes all sucked up by the 1%. 
And now Newt is telling me that it was he, along with the likes of none other than Ronald MacReagan who lowered taxes for ALL Americans. 
I know my memory is getting a little fuzzy, but I think brother Newt has me mixed up with his Truly First Class Citizens.  At any rate, if my taxes went down, my money is still not going as far as it did before Ronald Reagan "helped" me. 
In late 1980 Cathy and I bought a house in a good middle class neighborhood for 80 thousand dollars.  We each made just under 40 thousand per year as rehab teachers. 
It's been downhill since then, as far as purchasing power is concerned. 
 
Curious Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment