Thursday, February 16, 2012

Battle Fatigue

My reply to the many blind folks who have been expressing frustration over the lack of others to take up their share of the load. 
Carl Jarvis
 
Subject: Battle Fatigue

Jessie and all worn out fighters for truth, justice and the American Way of Life! 
 
First let me say, I am not worn out.  Not any more than what you might expect from some 76 year old guy with a few aches and pains and lacking the drive and endurance of a 20 year old. 
What I am is frustrated.  You see, my goal is to work for a beautiful, safe, livable Planet Earth. 
I believe that we Human Beings have the capacity to respect our brothers and sisters and to respect our Mother Earth and to be the lovers and care-takers of all that this old Globe contains. 
Of course I would be seven kinds of a Fool if I thought for one manna second that I could just walk around with a big sign saying, "Save the Planet, it's good for your health!"  I might as well have another on my backside saying, "Kick a Fool!" 
So where do I work?  I mean, just where can I sink my teeth in and make some small change?  Because I believe that if each of those of us who care were to make just a small change, we would be victorious in protecting our Mother Earth. 
Well, since I am a father and a grand father, I am involved in activities that advance youth programs.  Since my wife is an outspoken woman, I am involved in Women's Rights.  Since Cathy  and I are working folk, we are involved in protecting the rights of the Working Class.  Well, the list is endless, but you get the idea. 
All of us are involved in all sorts of causes.  Are we all beat down and worn out from fighting the good fight?  Then let's meet at the Mortuary and get measured for our final resting place. 
Because I am a Blind Man, I am most deeply involved in Blind Affairs...no, no, keep your mind on the high road. 
Next month I will have been totally blind for 47 years and, come April 13,  visually impaired for 77. 
So this is where I hang out most of the time.  Nonetheless, as I bend my efforts toward building a stairway to equal status and respect for blind people, I never lose sight of my ultimate goal, a safe, beautiful Mother Earth. 
Within this organization I dream of us leaving a better world for blind people yet unborn.  But it is just a part of my longing for a Land of Plenty for my grand children and beyond. 
My dear friends, how can we possibly be worn out or tired?  There is just far too much to do.  Are we talking of our frustration with other folks who don't seem to have the fire in their bellies that we have...or used to have?  I can only speak for Carl Jarvis, and what I am doing here in the trenches.  Do we become angry when others criticize our actions or our words?  Let them live with that.  I have enough self criticizm to keep me busy. 
By doing what I believe is right and proper, by seeing the beauty in people and in Life itself, and by rising up each morning excited about where the bend in the road of Life will take me today, I can never become worn out. 
Besides, Mother Earth is counting on me.  Can she count on you? 
 
Carl Jarvis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment