Friday, February 3, 2012

money in sports

Since our dependence on escape activities such as sports is woven into the fabric of our American Way of Life, we might as well resign ourselves to the fact that this is how it is going to be unless, or until we change our entire social fabric. 
So I do not pay the high cost required to place my bottom on a cramped seat among a bunch of out of control drunks. 
I would attend local community games if they had PA systems so I could follow the action.  I love baseball, and yet this past year I probably listened to fewer than a dozen Mariner games.  As an old U of W guy, I listen to the Husky football games and follow basketball.  But when I see what they pay their football staff, I'm not putting my money into their pockets, even if they work long and hard for it.  When the U. pays all it's department heads what they pay the coaching staff of the mighty Husky football team, I will consider attending games again. 
 
Curious Carl
 ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: [acb-chat] money in sports

The question becomes, how can we reign this in?  I enjoy sports; I just want to see the greed reigned in.  I see very little hope for that.
 
Perhaps, a compromise could be that teams would pay a tax or have to pay back bonds with interest out of revenues if they want these stadiums.  There should also be agreements that sports teams would only get these bond issues every fifty years.
 
If the NCAA wants to make rules, what about one that would not allow coaches to make more than a department head of dean of a university?
 
Again, I am not hopeful.
 
Another thing that I resent are some of the rules that are supposed to make basketball more exciting.  I have mixed feelings about the 45-second rule in college basketball.  Although the four-corners offense can be boring, it can also create unusual results at times.  I hate the 24-second shot clock of the NBA.  This does not give teams enough time to set up offense, at least, that is how it sounds.
 
I absolutely hate the alternating possession jump ball rule.  This moves it from being skill to chance.
 
I think there are two many time-outs at the ends of games.  I think that one way to solve this would be to allow a number of total time-outs, perhaps ten per game.  They would apply to both teams, regardless of who called them.  They would have to be spaced at least two minutes apart and would last for 60 seconds. 
 


_______________________________________________
acb-chat mailing list
acb-chat@acb.org
http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-chat

No comments:

Post a Comment