Friday, February 3, 2012

flight into fantasy

Flight into Fantasy 
 
 
There are more Blind Challenged folks than there are Sight Challenged.  Since we are so few in number we do have a great responsibility to lead them to safety in times of crisis(no lights). 
How well I recall that first expedition to Pluto, which is, incidentally, a cross between a very small planet and a huge frozen Meteor.  I, having been taken on board because of my culinary genius, being able to fee the five thousand on a bundle of bamboo sprouts and ketchup, was the first blind man in space.  And what occurred is why we now have at least one blind person on every flight leaving Earthport today. 
We had just settled down on the cold lonely surface, scanning the terrain with our flood lights, when the power shut down.  Dead silence.  Worse than the dead silence was the absolute blackness.  The Sun was only a bright star in the distance, and even so, no one could see their hand in front of their face. 
With just enough auxiliary power to keep our oxygen flowing until rescue might arrive, the crew went near mad, bumping into one another, bouncing off bulkheads and falling over unseen objects.  Not realizing at first that we had no lights, being totally blind as I am, my first thought was that we had been attacked by some hitherto unknown deep space monster. 
To make a long story short, I quickly gathered the 19 other members of the crew together and began calming them.  Once they stopped flopping about, they gave themselves into my hands.  By the time the rescue ship came and repaired our craft, the entire crew were functioning as if they'd been blind forever. 
Over the years since that first venture to Pluto, I hear mention from time to time about the brave blind man who saved the lives of the crew.  I smile inwardly, pleased that from such a remote act blind people were finally elevated to be the equal of their less fortunate sighted fellows. 
And you must admit, the pay is exceptional. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: [acb-l] [leadership] Fw: CA CollaborativeTransplantMayBeInSight ForGirl With Intellectual Disability

Carl wrote, and I quote, "One thing we know for certain.  Once we begin making life saving decisions based upon disabilities, we blind are doomed."
 
I certainly agree with your observation, Sir!  And I'm glad you understood my tongue-in-cheek diatribe.  I have a penchant for trying to turn things on their "proverbial head" to try to help someone see things from a different viewpoint.  I've been known to tell sighted friends, upon their entering my home at night with no lights on, "You sighted folks are so handicapped" in response to their request that I turn on a light!  
 
They're still my friends so they obviously get my point, I hope all on this list do as well.
--------
Holland's Person, Bill
- "The biggest seller is cookbooks and the second is diet books - how not to eat what you've just learned how to cook."
- Andy Rooney
- Personal Note: Thought this an appropriate quote after the Holiday splurging!

No comments:

Post a Comment