Thursday, February 16, 2012

picking our Battles

A sighted member of the Washington Council of the Blind wrote me with her frustration over being passed over for a Board position.  I replied: 
 
Dear Friend,
You raise some good points.  Something that has concerned me for many years is how we see ourselves fitting into a particular cause. 
For example, I am a strong supporter of Women's Rights.  I lend my support and money when and where I can.  But as much as I want to be a partner in Women's Fight for Equality, I feel it would send a wrong message if I were to run for an elected leadership position.  How our society treats women certainly affects me, but it is women's responsibility to direct their struggle, and my role is to be supportive. 
A good friend of mine is an Albino.  She is deeply involved in NOA, the National Organization of Albinism...I think that's the right name.  I have a cousin who is an Albino, too.  My close association with these two people has given me insight into what their world is like.  I am supportive of them in their struggle to educate their members and the rest of our society.  But I never involve myself in their in-house squabbles or philosophical differences.  I am a supporter, not an intruder.  I do not feel that I am not appreciated.  I understand the role I play.  But as a blind man, I have a responsibility to offer my leadership when and where I can.  Even then, when I have run for an office or offered to take leadership in a committee and been rejected, I don't take it as a sign that the members do not respect me.  It  is merely a difference of opinion. 
One of our organizations greatest leaders was a sighted man by the name of Al Fisher.  Al understood that his participation in the organization would need to be in the background.  But he gave members rides, helped organize meetings, talked with legislators, and shared his insight as a long time labor organizer.  Al raised questions that made us think.  His goal was to see us develop leadership among the blind members. 
I think we each should ask ourselves what it is that we want to accomplish in the WCB.  Once we know for certain what our goals are, we will find that we do have a role to play and we will have the respect and support of our fellow members, and the question of whether we are sighted or blind will no longer be an issue. 
 
Carl
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment