Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I've changed my thoughts on giving computers to older blind folks

Kevin, you put your finger on one of the road blocks keeping older blind folks from using computers. 
Many of our clients ask us, "Would it help to buy a computer?" 
We ask, "Do you type?" 
"No," comes the reply. 
End of discussion. 
It's the same with teaching Braille.  Take a guess at how many successful Braille users we have trained in 18 years of work with older blind people? 
If you guess 3, you hit it on the head.  And that does not mean that they can sit down and read for pleasure. 
Typing is equally difficult to teach to newly blind elders.  Old arthritic fingers do not easily do tasks that they did not learn when they were young and flexible. 
Of course the best solution to the needs of the older blind is one that our government is very reluctant to consider.  Trained, professional care givers.  Yup.  An army of people, decently paid, properly trained and able to spend the time needed by the elder, not dictated by some low funded budget. 
It would keep people in their homes, create new jobs, and give the appearance that we really care about our citizens needs. 
But it would mean building a few less drones, and we know how important our American Freedom is. 
Carl Jarvis
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:36 AM
Subject: [acb-l] I've changed my thoughts on giving computers to NLSpatrons: was RE: replacing nls player with computer

Hi all.

After some thinking about it I've changed my thinking on giving people
computers to read NLS books.  My reasoning is that there would have to be
extensive training for many people.  I don't know about others out there,
but I learned to type in grade school.  I figure that many elderly people
who are losing their vision don't know how to type.  Also, we're used to
synthetic speech.  I know many people in my family can't understand what my
computer is saying.  If you combine this with those who can't hear that well
this would be a problem.

I think a good solution would be to allow NLS titles to be played on
computers.  Don't get me wrong, I think the NLS players are great, and for
those who can use them it should be an option.  There are advantages to the
player, such as it's ease of use for many, and the long battery life.  I
suspect that NLS won't permit their titles to be played on computers, but I
really hope I will be proven wrong.

Just some thoughts.

Kevin Minor, Lexington, KY
kminor@windstream.net

_______________________________________________
acb-l mailing list
acb-l@acb.org
http://www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/acb-l

No comments:

Post a Comment