Thursday, December 27, 2012

Do nativity sceens Offend You?

Subject: Re: [acb-chat] Do nativity sceens Offend You?
(sorry, the article is not included)
Bob,
This silliness goes to prove that the very people who jump around crying out against being forced to bend to someone else's beliefs are simply attempting to force their own belief...or lack of belief, down everyone's throats.  It's a power struggle, pure and simple.  And everyone is the loser.  Such frantic posturing and bullying are free gifts to the Corporate Empire, in helping to keep us at odds with one another, and thus focused away from the need to deal with their oppression. 
Now I might protest using public funds to put up a religious display for any Faith, but I would not get all worked up if your church paid for and built a nativity scene in the public square.  Just so long as any religious group could also do the same. 
Are we so insecure that we think the mere sight of another's display is going to somehow suck us into their Fold?  I've walked past a thousand churches and a thousand taverns without ever feeling compelled to rush up and embrace any of them. 
I sing Christmas carols, and I'm still an
Agnostic.  And I love the rollicking old Southern Gospel music.  I also love the energy that comes from a good marching band.  But it never has made me feel like marching off to war. 
When I was a boy, back in the days when the school thought that Christmas plays were the thing to do, I usually played the part of one of the Wiseman.  But I never grew up to be all that wise. 
And my daughter played a tree in her Kindergarten play, without ever once being attracted to life as a tree. 
Please, if we're going to spend energy, money and time, let's put it where it will make a difference in the lives of the American People.  Does the existence of a manger scene, or the absence of it, really improve my life standard?  Or yours? 
Our Corporate Masters must be rolling in the aisles holding their sides. 
 
Carl Jarvis
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Hachey
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:32 AM
Subject: [acb-chat] Do nativity sceens Offend You?

Hi everyone,
AS promised, here's the article on the controversy over Christmas and other religious displays. Most of you know that I'm an agnostic. Still, I can't help but think that religious freedom is being curtailed by those who claim to be offended by nativity scenes. I must wonder what is gained by limiting the display of nativity scenes, menorahs and other such religious displays. To me, religious freedom is a balancing act. That is, balancing the freedom to practice religion against the freedom from religion.
While I usually agree with the ACLU, I honestly don't see what they think they're gaining when they fight to limit public displays such as a nativity scene. Does that merely anger Christians? Seems to me, that groups like the ACLU should concentrate on cases where discrimination is taking place.
Is a city or town discriminating against non-Christians by displaying a nativity scene in the town square? Not in my book.
Bob Hachey

No comments:

Post a Comment